I can see the finish line! Summer is all but a memory. The first day of school is next Monday and we are all ready for that routine.
Last week, The Hubs and I took the girls to Busch Gardens and we did every ride that they were tall enough to ride. 10am to 5pm, almost a whole work day, traipsing around and around, waiting in lines. I introduced the girls to the magic that is funnel cake. They rode Escape From Pompeii, C with her eyes closed the whole time and M with her hands in the air. The Hubs was afraid we would be ready to leave by 1 or 2pm, but it’s been a while since he’s done the amusement park thing. We were back in the car by 5:10, and that’s only because we had to meet my parents at 5:30.
Today, when I suggested we go to the pool and wring out every last bit of fun, M said she didn’t want to. Didn’t want to go to the pool? Wow. I figured we have a handful of trips left before the whole thing shuts down after Labor Day. Guess not.
Not sure what else is going to be on the schedule for the next few days. I’m trying not to cave, but there may be some movies running back-to-back tomorrow or the next day. There are a bunch of odds and ends that I’ve already taken care of with respect to Back to School prep, but inevitably, something additional will pop up and require my attention.
Speaking of odds and ends, here are a few things that I’ve been enjoying this week.
1. I can’t even begin to tell you how much I am in love, love, love with this YouTube Channel called “The French Whisperer”. You all know that I am a francophile at heart. I truly must have been French in a previous life. So, you can imagine my glee about reading an article in O Magazine that mentions “Hunky-Sounding Guys Explaining Things”, in particular, the “relaxation master” the French Whisperer. On this channel, this gentleman discusses all manner of academic topics ranging from myths and history to black holes and exoplanets. This is all at once hilarious, sensual and relaxing. I just listened to a lecture on the myth of mermaids. I don’t know if I need a cigarette, a nap or to blot my eyes from laughing. It reminds me of The Merovignian from The Matrix when he talk about cursing in French.
2. The Time Traveler’s Wife for like the billionth time, and I do mean the book. I’ve had this impossibly long wait for some other titles to become available from the library waiting list. I tried not to buy anything either, because the minute I do, a book becomes available. I was a bibliophile without a book! I might as well have been lost in a desert. So, I reached for one of my all time favorites, falling in love with Henry and Clare, finding something new in Niffenegger’s luxurious prose. Clocking in at 546, it’s not for the faint of heart, nor is it for those who prefer linear boy meets girl, boy falls in love with girl, boy and girl get married sort of stories. This ain’t “The Notebook”. What it is is just an inventive, deliciously written love story bursting with references to art, literature, music and oh, time travel.
3. What to Pack for the Beach. The Hubs and I missed out on vacation this summer (and notice I said vacation, not a family trip), but we are looking to make a get-away at the end of September to celebrate our birthdays. He’s having a milestone birthday on the 29th and while I was ready to invite a cast of thousands to a Pinter-iffic themed party, he surprised me by saying he’d rather just go away and relax. Um, I can be packed in ready in like 15 minutes. I’ve been scouring the Internet — really just Pinterest — for some ideas on how to pack for a long week-end. I’ve talked about capsule wardrobes before and how I’m trying to make that part of my life. I can now add capsule packing to the list. I’ve tried a 7×7 challenge and it ended up being a 7×7 with like 5 extra pieces. This time, I’m committed to sticking with the guidelines. Truly, I plan on being in a bathing suit or pajamas the majority of the time, so really, what else do I need?
4. Christian Louboutin Allegra. That’s what else I need. As soon as I get the greenlight from the doc that I can sport some heels again, I know what I’ll be trying to make my own. I probably should have started saving back in April. Oh well, #shoegoals.
5. And speaking of goals, I’m kind of proud of myself for the way I’ve been making little changes and being kinder to my body. Remember how I said I talk so much trash about my bod behind my back? How I compare myself to others? I still do it, don’t get me wrong, but in way smaller increments than before. If, for instance, I catch myself about to say something negative, I just say “Stop it!” either in my head or out loud. The out loud makes for some interesting glances when I’m by myself in a public place. I’m feeling better about myself and how I relate to myself. I’m determined to keep this good thing going.
What’s been putting a smile on your face this week? Tell me about it in the comments!
No really, please comment. I think my comment moderation is busted.